The George T. and Margaret W. Romani Fellowships
Call for Nominations for the CMRS Romani Fellowships for 2015-16
Thanks to the generosity of George T. and Margaret W. Romani, one or two fellowships will be awarded for academic year 2015–16 to students pursuing studies in some aspect of the Middle Ages and/or Renaissance. CMRS will provide $20,000 as a stipend to support the selected Fellow(s). Funding for student fees, tuition, and other expenses must be provided by the recipient’s academic department or other sources. Please note: Students receiving a CMRS Romani Fellowship may not hold another major fellowship (i.e., an award greater than $5,000) simultaneously.
To be considered for the award, students must be nominated by their academic department.
Nominations will be accepted for individuals in three categories:
- Graduate students newly admitted to UCLA
- Continuing UCLA graduate students
- Graduate students from other universities who have been invited to study at UCLA for a full academic year.
- The Department Chair must submit a Letter of Nomination.
- Departments may nominate up to two students a year. The letter should include:
- A description of why the student is being nominated for the award, including an account of the student’s prospects for success in research and scholarship.
- The name of the faculty member who will be the student’s mentor in Medieval and/or Renaissance Studies. The faculty member should be an active member of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.
- The department’s commitment to provide funding for the student’s fees and other expenses.
In addition to the letter of nomination from the Department Chair, the student or the department (on behalf of the student) must submit:
- A short statement (one page) written by the student describing his/her interests in the field of Medieval and/or Renaissance Studies and academic goals.
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher or faculty member familiar with the student’s academic work.
- A copy of the student’s transcripts (university level only).
Send or email nomination letter and other materials to:
Professor Massimo Ciavolella
Director, Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies
302 Royce Hall
Campus Mailcode 148503
The deadline for nominations is February 15, 2015.
|CMRS Romani Fellows for 2013-2014
|Jimmy Fishburne (Art History)
||Aaron Mead (Philosophy)
|CMRS Romani Fellows for 2012-2013
|Lindsay Johnson (Musicology)
||Sara Torres (English)